Thursday, December 2, 2010

How to Make a Felted Pearl Necklace

This is a tutorial on how to create my pearl necklace piece from 2009. It is a simple project that can be done while watching tv or talking with friends. It is somewhat time consuming, each pearl taking between 5 and 10 minutes. Your hands will also become pruned from being wet for so long so it is best to do it over the course of a few days.
Have fun with it and let me know how it turns out!












Once you have strung all of your pearls to the desired length tie the string to the other end of your clasp. The pearls are soft so they can be pushed slightly back while tying the knot to be sure that your finished necklace has no gaps.

I will often string a few extra pearls and push them back as far as i can when tying the knot so i can cut away any pearls that may be off-center or look too large. If you do this be very careful to cut the pearl in sections without cutting the string. The felt can then be pulled away from the string and the other pearls will release back into the gap.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun project! I saw this in Craft Magazine & had to stop by. I love this project.

Anonymous said...

I've been dreaming of making this for so long and you beat me to it ;)

Jessica E-Merete said...

This is gorgeous! I can't wait to make it.